Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Music: Personally Listening

Music is such a personal thing. I think sometimes when we listen we make judgments about ourselves and other who like or dislike the songs and singers we like or dislike. I have a friend who really likes Tupac (now deceased) the rapper. I mentally vomit at the crass called rap, but to others they hear rhyme and rhythm, righteous indignation and social commentary. The crass language and crashing beat of rap moves them, like it does my friend. I keep him as my friend because our friendship is rich and supportive, stimulating and compassionate. We just don’t listen to his Tupac together. I'm not sure if he'd enjoy Cat Stevens as much as I do, or whether he'd just fall asleep.

Sometimes we should listen to each other’s music and listen beyond or behind the beat that jars our senses, or the words either too bitterly profane or too saccharine sweet for our tastes.

For a number of years (before my son turned 18 and could no longer pursue the Eagle rank) I was involved with the Boy Scouts. My son was a Life Scout, and I was an Assistant Scoutmaster. There was this one boy, Evan, who would always seek me out just to talk—any campout or troop meeting—and eventually he’d always mention the music he loved, or a song he’d just memorized. And he’d sing me snatches of lyrics that sometimes I’d raise my eyebrows at. But I think he really knew how much I liked him anyway. We’d laugh, joke around and I would be tolerant of hearing about music I’d never want to hear by myself. He even burned me a Blink 182 CD because he cared so much.

I could never quite understand his persistence to persuade me into liking his style of music, but I think he thought if I learned to like it I’d like him even more. Such is the power of music to sway us.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Pete, my friend, I hadn't read this posting - as old as it is!

You know, it's funny we never really talked about Tupac, so I didn't know what your reaction was, exactly. I rarely expect my friends to concur with my assessment of hip hop as valuable art, but I think an argument can be made.

Last week I took a group of high school students down to San Francisco. I had the humorously ironic "inkling" to teach these white-bread Christian kids to dance hip hop and back me up in a rap sequence. It has hilarious to perform in front of groups of black, inner city youth. The strange thing was, it spoke to them: they loved it!

Yes, I love Cat Stevens. I love Garth Brooks, Miles Davis, Bob Dylan and Bob Marley too. But pure hip hop... mmmm, there is an intensity, an anger, a social comment that so desperately needs to be heard.

Here is one of my favorite lyric strings from Lauryn Hill...

There's a war in the mind,
over territory
For the dominion
Who will dominate the opinion
Skisms and isms, keepin' us in forms of religion
Conformin' our vision
To the world church's decision
Beyond the borders
Fond of sin and disorder
Bound by the strategy of systematic deprivaty
Heavy as gravity
Head first in the cavity
Without a bottom
A fate worse than Sodom
What's got him
Drunk of the spirits?
Truth comes, we can't hear it.
When you've been programmed to fear it.
I had a vision
I was fallin' in indescision
Apalling, calling religion
Some program on television
How can dominant wisdom
Be recognized in the system
Of Anti-Christs, the majority rules
Intelligent fools:
PhD's in illusion
Masters of mass confusion
Bacholors in past illusion.
Now who YOU choosin?
The head or the tail?
The bloodshed of the male.
No confidence in the tale, conferences in Yale
Discussin' doctrines of Baal
Causin' people to fail,
Keepin' a third in jail.
His Word has nailed
Everything to the tree -
Severing all of me from all that I used to be.

Hopeless and void.
Totally paranoid.
Enjoy darkness as Lord
How incomplete
From confrontation to retreat
We prolong the true enemy's defeat

No options in the valley of decision
The only doctrine: supernatural circumcision
Inwardly, only war that can purge the heart
From words that fiery dart -
Thrown by the workers of the arts.
Iniquity, shapen in
There's no escapin' when
You're whole philosophy is paper thin
In vanity
The wide road is insanity
Could it be all of humanity?
Picture that!
Scripture that!
The origin of a man's heart is black.
How can we show up for
An invisible war?
Preoccupied with a shadow, makin' love with a whore?
Achin' in sores -
Babylon, the great mystery,
Mother of human history,
System of social sorcery.

Our present condition
Needs serious recognition:
Where there's no repentance there can be no remission.
And that sentence, more serious than Vietnam
The atom bomb or Saddam, and Minister Farakkhan.

What's goin' on, what's the priority to you?
What authority do we do
When the majority hasn't a clue?
We majored in curses,
Search the chapters, check the verses,
Recapture the lamb,
Remove the mark from off our hands...

So we can stand
In agreement with HIS command.

Everything else is damned.
Let them what is understand.

Everything else is damned, let them what is understand.