Monday, December 19, 2005

Christmas

I think ever since I was young I have felt a tension during the holiday season. Now it's in vogue to even complain about using the word "holiday" instead of "Christmas" when referrring to this season. Many evangelicals decry the secularization of just about everything within the public sector. It concerns me, too. But sometimes evangelicals just want to cling to forms or words without embodying substance.

The problem within our culture runs very deep. It's not just a split between the secular culture and its icons and the Christian culture and its icons. The secular culture promotes: Santa (usurped from the original Christian culture, for Santa used to be Saint Nicholas, a fourth century saint known for his generosity); reindeer; large, fat snowmen; snowflakes and stars; the colors green and red. The Christian culture remembers the manger scene: idealized with manger, and infant Lord who doesn't cry, well-robed wise men and humble shepherds, feminine angels with wings, halos and white robes. But behind the familiar scenes, issues, icons and stereotypes reigns the Living God moving through history, creating, restoring, redeeming, and transforming.

Is there a reason to fret? Obviously the lure of consumerism, and the Call of the Mall entices us to become jaded and cynical about the season. But after a few decades of the same old complaints, I've just let go. I don't bother with complaining, or giving in to it all. I just ignore it. Or at least I ignore it most of the time.